Sunday, May 5, 2013

Welcome to MUS 214!

Hello, May Term of MUS 214! You have successfully found me in the blogging world. Please make sure you email me your URL LINK so that I may find you and add you to my blog. Please do this immediately---I will compile a blogging list of the class and distribute it to your peers so that you may complete your assignments.
Introduce Yourself!

Here are a couple of songs/chants for introducing the class:

Jump in, jump out, Introduce Yourself!
My name is: __________
Class: YEAH!
I have _______________(descriptor #1)
Class: YEAH!
And I ___________ (descriptor #2)
Class: YEAH!
All: Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright!

Strawberry Shortcake, Huckleberry Finn
When I say your Birth-month, Jump In!
January, (pause), February (pause), March (pause), etc.

Horses have a muzzle, pigs have a snout,
When I say your Birth-month, Jump Out!
December (pause), November (pause), October, (pause), etc.

Good morning, Friends,
Hello, and how are you?
We're fine, We're fine,
And I hope that you are too!

My name is _________, what's your name?
My name is ___________,
Class: Hello ___________!
His/Her name is ________, what's your name?
(Repeat for entire class)


The first chant is a great way for students to get to know each other (and for you to remember your students early on in the year). The formula is this: The First Line is repeated with each student. The second line is where the student inserts his/her name. The third line contains a verb--sing, run, dance, play, etc. The fourth line should contain a noun. Cats, books, cars, etc. The fifth line always ends in Alright! Clap to the steady beat and encourage the students to move freely.

Another fun way to get to know each other:

E is for Elise and I like Eclairs,
A is for Aaron, and I like Apples.

(Class) "Elise likes Eclairs, and Aaron Likes Apples!"

Add two students per "turn".....all students should repeat ALL of the names of previous students. It gets a little crazy, but it is a great ice breaker. The group should alternating between patting and clapping to keep a steady beat and try to speak their name and noun/verb with a steady beat.

Do you have any ideas for rhythmic ice breakers?

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of the Morning Meeting Book? It has a number of greetings that you can do with students. Some are rhyme, while others are more like games to introduce yourself to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always did the snapping game when you indroduce yourslef and one person starts and then the next person says both names and the third person says three names and by the end, the last person says everyones name. It is a great and fast way to remember names.

    ReplyDelete